Chemainus Pentecostal has been on this same site since 1949. Over the years the building has taken on additions here and there making it the structure you see today.
Before actual construction began it consisted of a trailer pulled on to the site that was very small but was the humble start.
The MacMillan Bloedel Mill was booming at the time and was instrumental in donating both property and lumber for our building. The Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada (PAOC) was growing rapidly in this era with numerous churches starting across Canada.
Chemainus Pentecostal over the years have seen great men and women that God has brought here to reach the people of Chemainus. During the developing years we have heard stories of how the community members remember those people that dedicated their lives and time to the making of our church, both the physical building and the spiritual well-being of those that attended.
In the early 60’s, PAOC donated the building and ministry to a group of people that had a call to the First Nations that surrounded Chemainus. Thus, this was the beginning of the Mattaniah Indian Mission. These dedicated men and women spent many hours traveling by boat and vehicles to the reserves of Port Alberni, Penelakut, Chemainus, Shell Beach, Nanaimo, Cowichan, Malahat, and Halalt. This ministry continued into the late 80’s and at the dissolution the building reverted back to a PAOC church.
Whatever the title on the door, God has and is in control as the Gospel continues to spread throughout Chemainus. Beside Sunday Services, we have had mid-week services, bible studies, mens and womens meetings, kids and youth programs, rallies, summer camps, Vacation Bible School (VBS) programs, Christmas and Easter plays and choirs. All of which help increase members personal spiritual growth and continued outreach to the town of Chemainus.
Over the years many people have come and gone through our doors and have all testified about feeling at home, but more importantly, that they met God.